PSA Eligibility Requirements
An applicant for a P.E.O. Scholar Award is required to be nominated by a local P.E.O. chapter and to be a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States or Canada.
She must be within two years of completing her doctoral-level degree and she must have one full academic year of work remaining at the time the award payment is made in August or September. She must be enrolled full-time in her program at an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada.
Following nomination by a P.E.O. chapter, each eligible nominee will be required to electronically submit an application by an assigned date.
In selecting recipients of these merit-based, highly competitive awards, the Scholar Awards Board of Trustees will evaluate the application using the following criteria:
- The nominee's proposal
- Potential to make significant contributions in her field(s) of endeavor or for a positive impact on society
- Recommendations from three university professors or other professional mentors who can address the quality and future impact of the candidate and her work
- Evidence of scholarly activities - publications, presentations, patents, performances, etc.
- Academic awards and honors - honor societies, scholarships, etc.
- Academic record - grades
- Career objectives
- Unique academic and global experiences
Priority is given to a woman who is well-established in her program.
P.E.O. Scholar Awards are announced annually in May for the ensuing academic year. The number of awards is determined each year in accordance with the funds available.
Endowed and Named Scholars
To be selected as an Endowed or Named P.E.O. Scholar is an additional honor for the recipients who are chosen for these awards.
Endowed awards are supported by gifts to specific endowment funds maintained in the P.E.O. Foundation for Scholar Awards.
Named awards are one-time awards funded by contributions given by individuals, chapters or collective gifts in the amount of a P.E.O. Scholar Award.
- August 20 to November 20: Online nominations accepted
- By May 1: Notification of awards sent to applicants and nominating chapters
- August and September: First half of award payment sent to recipient after receipt of confirmation of enrollment
- December and January: Final half of award payment sent after receipt of recipient's progress report and confirmation of enrollment
- Printable PSA Policies (PDF - updated 03/17)