STAR Eligibility Requirements
A woman is eligible to be recommended for the P.E.O. STAR Scholarship provided she:
- Exhibits excellence in leadership, academics, extracurricular activities, community service and potential for future success
- Has a minimum cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Is in the final academic year (senior year) of her secondary education and is 20 years of age or under at the end of the calendar year
- Is a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States or Canada
- Plans to attend an accredited postsecondary educational institution in the United States or Canada, full-time or part-time, in the fall of the academic year following high school graduation
- Is recommended by and receives the vote of a local P.E.O. chapter
Chapter Recommendation and Application Process
When a local chapter identifies a prospective applicant, the local STAR Scholarship chairman will arrange an interview to assess eligibility. If the chapter votes to recommend the applicant, the chairman oversees the online application process.
The chapter will advise the applicant that she will be emailed instructions for setting up her online account to complete her portion of the application. Submission of the chapter recommendation form and chapter recommendation letter (thoroughly introducing the applicant and explaining her outstanding qualities and achievements) must be made online, following the online instructions, between September 1 and November 1.
The Student Profile, Student Activity Charts, original one-page essay, two reference letters, and unofficial high school transcript (through the 11th grade/junior year) must be submitted online no later than 30 calendar days after the applicant has received a link with instructions to set up her online account. Canadian applicants must also include their Province Conversion Grading Scale.
Recipients will be announced annually by April 30. Notification letters will be sent to all applicants and recommending chapters. Recipient award certificates will be mailed to recommending chapters for presentation at a high school awards ceremony or other public forum.
Endowed and Named Scholars
Endowed STAR Scholarships may be established in honor or memory of an individual or chapter. The funds are held in the P.E.O. Foundation.
A one-time gift of USD $2,500 may be designated as a Named Scholarship in honor or memory of an individual or chapter and must be received by the P.E.O. Executive Office no later than December 1 to be awarded in the ensuing academic year.
- STAR Policies & Procedures (PDF - updated 03/18)
- STAR Student Frequently Asked Questions (PDF - updated 01/18)